[governance] Founder of ORSN has his say, removing any doubts....

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Mon Oct 10 17:43:29 EDT 2005

Wow. Moments after sending this, a post from the founder of ORSN
appeared on CircleID. Let his words speak for themselves:

"I founded ORSN back in 2002, even if i could hardly imagine that a TLD
will ever be removed from the root zone by the DoC. However, there is
still a chance that this may happen and therefore ORSN is absolutely
right to continue offering its services to the internet. To put it
politely: ORSN is protest against the ICANN.

It's not bearable that a government can make modifications without
others supervising it. Don't forget that today's internet is a
"child" of the USA and you always want to keep control of your
children, don't you? But children grow up and one day, the DoC has to
let this child go.

Personally, i haven't been in USA yet and got my (limited) knowledge
of the people and the country solely from internet and TV. But seeing
the arbitrariness of the US government's decisions, i'm getting
angry. What i mean is that i'm more pro USA than i'm against it. But
i can't accept it when such an important media like the internet is
controlled by a single government, who classifies everyone else as a
part of an "axis of evil" only because opinions or interests
differ.

If at one day the ICANN (or its successor) will become an international
organization, then i'll say: "No one needs ORSN anymore and i'll
gladly cease the project - given that all the other operators agree."

We never had the a doubt that the technical infrastructure of
ICANN/IANA is sufficient. ANYCAST also improved the root system
technically. But it's still a collective whose roots are in the DoC.
Even an ANYCAST with thousands of instances thoughout the world
doesn't help here. A tree with a rotten root can't have green
leafs (however, no one seems to have noticed that yet)."

'nuff said.