[governance] Vixie supports another root administration

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Mon Oct 10 20:45:24 EDT 2005

Thanks McTim for your concern for my perspective. But if you actually read
my posting, you wouldhave seen that it was I who have said many times that
these assumptions are ungrounded. I also nsuggested that we need these facts
exactly so that other people can  see whether the USG intervention is
ungrounded or not.  So we are both on the same page and I am relieved that
Paul has finally come on board to share the facts with this list.

I have always tried to get other people with the facts to get on this list
and  help dispell these rumours being churned up, both gov wise and CS wise.
When I attended the CS orientation the Sunday before PrepCom 3 started, the
IG Caucus had a panel and one of their speakers specifically told the CS
audience that CS had to be worried about IG because the US gov could take
their TLD or that of their country off the Internet at their whim and fancy,
for any reason.  I was very concerned about this kind of baseless rumour
mongering to raise people;s emotions that was being done both on the gov
side as well as on CS side.

So,yes I too am happy we are finally beginning to look at the real details
of whether this assumption being made by other gov, CS society and to a
large extent something even the USG perpetuates, is grounded or not. As Paul
pointed out, people running the roots are reasonable people and non-aligned,
committed to keeping the Internet up and running.

Regards,
Laina