[governance] Vixie supports another root administration

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Wed Oct 12 12:18:23 EDT 2005

Thanks Paul for that perspective. I agree that we need to see what has not
worked i.e. is it because of USG oversight or lack internal controls, or
perceived possibilities of "doomsday" or lack of trust with it based in the
US or ....."whatever".. i.e. what is the problem we are trying to fix...what
have we not managed to fix post ICANN formation (before we jumping to a
conclusion on the solution).

Having said that, I agree with your choice of words in the last para "that
ICANN was originally suppose to have or perhaps could still have". For me, I
realise that ICANN actually started off on the wrong foot, as it was created
having short-circuit of an open international collaborative process (which
ironically the USG started themselves as way back as 1996- the Green and
White Paper process and the IFWP process). So this did not give it a good
start anyway. If you recall Stuart Lynn one of the former CEOs of ICANN
himself announced in 2002 or was it 2003 that ICANN was broke and the
process started again to try and fix it again. People like Adam who were
part of the whole process since 1996, would be able to give some answers
here.

I guess it may be that one could ask- Is it harder to fix what is broke or
create something new. Again, once we focus on what we exactly we would like
to fix, the appropriate solutions will become clearer.

Just thought I would add my 2cts worth.

Laina