[governance] oversight

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Sun Oct 30 21:53:23 EST 2005

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Edward Hasbrouck wrote:

> More than 6 months ago, I made a formal request for independent review of

Only six months Edward?  Some people have been waiting years for a
response.

> (4) Other parties (individuals, corporations, governments) could "route
> around" ICANN by acting independently, e.g. by establishing alternative
> roots.  This seems to be the only oversight mechanism that doesn't depend
> on voluntary cooperation by ICANN and/or the USA government.

That is what is happening.  China has gone down this road as has
Turkey.  People are finding alternatives to the ICANN mess.  Unfortunately
non of these alternatives are well co-ordinated and as such go nowhere.
That includes the China and Turkish root systems.

The problem with the DNS is that it requires a centralized record system
to provide the glue records to maintain the root.  And non of the
alternative systems can agree on a central point of control - so nothing
of significance ever happens.

We came close with the Public-Root.  Even managed to get the national
government of Turkey involved.  Unfortunately due to scandal the
Public-Root a.k.a. United-Root a.k.a. Unified-Root is now a complete
failure.

I expect in the long run countries will start their own root systems.
This will have two results - 1) it will provide countries with an
excellent bargaining mechanism and 2) it will provide some benefits on
resolution - i.e. speed and enhanced privacy for users.

I also expect in the long run such unco-ordinated root systems will cause
serious technical problems and result in breakage of the networks.  But
eventually this will be solved through an agreed upon central
administrative entity that will preserve the operational stability of the
global Internet by providing public access to the coordination, management
and distribution of elements and identifiers used to delegate Top-Level
Domains in the root system.

But that will only come about when we accept that control can only be
accomplished through an open, transparent, accountable, representative and
inclusive processes.  That will happen when the control freaks in both the
private and public sector realize they have no other option but to give
up.

cheers
joe baptista

Joe Baptista, Official Public-Root Representative and Lobbyist to the
United States Congress and Senate / Tel: +1 (202) 517-1593

Public-Root Disclosure Documents: http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/P-R/