[governance] oversight

Danny Younger dannyyounger at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 20:13:11 EST 2005

Edward writes:  "I would welcome any assistance in
getting ICANN to act on my requests for independent
review and stay"

I have had some direct experience with reconsideration
requests (mine was Request 04-2).  I sent ICANN three
sets of hard copies in addition to an emailed
reconsideration request.  ICANN managed to lose them
all.  I spent weeks trying to get a live human being
on ICANN staff to speak to me, but repeated calls went
unanswered.  No one would even acknowledge receipt of
my request.  I finally got through to Kurt Pritz and
he advised that he would raise the issue with Board
members in an upcoming call.  Nothing happened.  I
finally called a Board member directly.  I was advised
by him to write to the Directors on the
Reconsideration Committee.  These Directors read my
emails, managed to somehow find my "lost" documents,
and finally acted to resolve the matter several months
later.

Other folks aren't as lucky... Network Solutions has
had their request pending since November of last year.
 Paul Wilson has been waiting since March 2000, and
Karl Auerbach has been waiting since November 17,
1999.

What's supposed to happen is this:  "The
Reconsideration Committee shall review Reconsideration
Requests promptly upon receipt and announce, within
thirty days, its intention to either decline to
consider or proceed to consider a Reconsideration
Request after receipt of the Request. The announcement
shall be posted on the Website."

It doesn't happen... and if you're looking for
accountability, there isn't any.

Ed, if the Board detests you, they won't acknowledge
your request.  If they only moderately despise you,
you might have a chance.  It's all about the fickle
exercise of absolute power.  For what it's worth, I
think that you should pay the ICANN Board a visit in
Vancouver and raise your concerns in the Public Forum
(knowing that representatives of the USG and the press
will be listening to your every word).

Good luck,
Danny