[governance] process

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Thu Oct 27 10:04:37 EDT 2005

Hi

Very troubled by recent discussions about process.

At the moment I feel that if a group of ten ("most active"?) people
draft a text - without any clear way of establishing mandate for them
- then this will not represent "civil society interests" at a global
level adequately, and you get into the ICANN/IETF issues about self-
selection by the people with shared interests and cultural capital
and ability to make themselves heard on mailing lists. If this group
is too big for direct democratic principles, then there needs to be a
process for "representation" that people are broadly happy with. (And
eventually, it ends up looking something like a government :7).

I feel the most alignment with Carlos' post on oversight.

I won't bother with the recent discussion on governments, except to
say that if anyone thinks a bunch of people with bright ideas, some
history in creating the net and good intentions will be considered
(in the WSIS scheme of things) can start determining the parameters
for the decisions made by governments that have a well-defined
mandate in international law (regardless of what we might feel about
them), clear governance principles, and effective control of billions
of dollars in resources, that seems like wilful blindness to reality.

The list is having discussions about representation and governance
for itself. Governments already have "rough consensus and running
code" for governance, and the resistance to their role is
ideologically driven. I would say that there is probably as much
understanding exhibited here about the basis of governmental
authority over all of us, as there is by the governments about how
the DNS systems works (i.e. not much and unevenly distributed). I
don't like governments, and when I prefer a Brazilian Govt text to an
international CS one I feel something is wrong.

Over the long term, until there is a clear articulation of civil
society principles and an organisational structure is aligned with
them I fail to see how effective interventions can be made into
current processes, because proposed text will keep foundering on
radical gaps in understanding about what we're here to do and how we
should do it.

Sorry to be negative. Feel free to ignore this outburst and adopt
business as usual, I might cheer up in a few days.

Regards

Danny