[governance] oversight

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Wed Oct 26 23:45:37 EDT 2005

As established in formal statements in the US Congress (a joint
resolution on Oct.18) and the federal government, the discussion on the
USG position regarding governance of the logical infrastructure has
became academic. The position is to keep ICANN under the US government -
forget about the end of the MOU and so on. So any "common ground"
between the USA and the rest of the world could happen only on issues
*beyond* governance of names, numbers and protocols. As the joint
resolution by the Senate and the House states:

"Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring), That
it is the sense of Congress that--

            (1) it is incumbent upon the United States and other
responsible governments to send clear signals to the marketplace that
the current structure of oversight and management of the Internet's
domain name and addressing service works, and will continue to deliver
tangible benefits to Internet users worldwide in the future; and
            (2) therefore the authoritative root zone server should
remain physically located in the United States and the Secretary of
Commerce should maintain oversight of ICANN so that ICANN can continue
to manage the day-to-day operation of the Internet's domain name and
addressing system well, remain responsive to all Internet stakeholders
worldwide, and otherwise fulfill its core technical mission."

This is not law, but several other resolutions (like Senator Coleman's)
are pushing in the same direction, and this has become formal enough to
determine the course of things.

In plain English, the view is that the USA government has outsourced
Internet logical infrastructure management services to a US corporation
called ICANN and will continue to do so for the sake of ensuring
continuing control over the network, in the name of "stability and
security". Period.

So, any negotiation on this with the USA will most certainly be cosmetic
only in the current state of affairs... Which USA negotiator would risk
his/her position by going even slightly against this? What are the
alternatives?

frt rgds

--c.a.

Raul Echeberria wrote:

>Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>

>>wcurrie at apc.org ha scritto:
>>

>>>What if we take the key points of the Argentinian proposal
>>>

>>I would avoid adopting or making reference to any governmental proposal,
>>even if just as a starting point. If you start from the Argentinian
>>proposal, you join the "pro-USG anti-EU" front, and if you start from
>>the EU proposal, it's the opposite.
>>

>I don't agree with your intepretation.
>I don't think that the Argentinian proposal is a "pro-USG anti-EU"
>proposal. I neither think that the EU proposal is anti-USG.
>They are just different proposals, and surely there will be negotiations
>(if there have not been yet) between the different groups.
>
>BTW, don't be afraid of mentioning one specific proposal if it has
>points that are of the interest of this caucus.
>Different proposals could have different things that would deserve support.
>
>Raúl

Carlos Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272, 6º andar - Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro RJ - Brasil         CEP 22270-060
tel +55-21-2527-5494        fax +55-21-2527-5460
ca at rits.org.br            http://www.rits.org.br