[governance] Possible CS text on forum

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Thu Oct 20 17:55:56 EDT 2005

A question which equally needs to be resolved at some point is whether
there is to be a Forum (for IG issues), a Global Alliance (for ICT4D
issues), and/or a Commission for the Information Society-CIS, (for other
IS issues) OR some combination, variation, permutation of all or none of
these.

Depending on which approach is entered into, there will (must) be a
somewhat different set of players (certainly if we are talking MSP's) or
even if we are only talking countries and Multilateral organizations.

I get the sense that CS is no further along on these issues than are the
other stakeholders and that the various thematic tracks are pursuing
these issues somewhat (distinctly?) in isolation from each other even
when the same parties are entering into these various discussions.

My own feeling is that at least the ICT4D and the IG issues should be
separately "followed-up" as they do represent somewhat (significantly?)
different constituencies and stakeholders and the Commission for the IS
folks/issues are somewhere in between with partial overlaps both to
ICT4D and to IG...

In my case, the folks that I'm working with (several of the
transnational networks of networks of telecentres/community based
technology initiative practitioners) are very concerned to be included
at the table for ICT4D issues (where they have heretofore not be been
included to their and everyone else's detriment) but have no interest
whatsoever in IG issues at least as is being discussed here.

Mike Gurstein