[governance] Joe Femming - Universities & emancipation of knowledge over power

Max Senges maxsenges at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 09:22:28 EDT 2005

Dear all

Constant technological change
Even though I agree that Jims messages are provocative/rude, very cryptic
and not focused on the tunis negotiations, the technology projects he is
referring to are serious and respectable. I would argue, they highlight one
important point - whatever modes of technological operation the internet is
currently in - it might well be that it is another tomorrow (at least if
progress, development and flexibility is not hampered by dinosaur
institutions and bureaucracy etc.)

Cosmopolitan Citizenship
The technological platform will always change but what should be consistent
is the open humanitarian spirit of cyberspace. Therefore I believe (as
outlined in my last mail) it is important to develop Civil Societies vision
of the social interaction space and discuss how international discourse can
be organised.

Role of universities
Let me elaborate one moment on the role of universities in particular: “the
university has entered the transformative project of modernity” After the
critiques of Habermas, Marcuse and Touraine, the university needs to become
the zone of engagement between power and knowledge, politics and culture.
(Challenging Knowledge: The university in the knowledge society, Delanty
2001: 73)

With more and more people participating in higher education, the reach and
influence of universities is enormous. It is not a social revolution which
is needed (as intended by the actors of the student movement of the 60' and
70'), but universities should be the site for discussion and reflection and
possible the fertile ground for the emergence and communication of a vision
and ideals for the 21. century.

Max