[governance] oversight

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Mon Oct 17 16:00:44 EDT 2005

Understood. From the current deadlock, it appears that any other country
other than US will not be accepted.

That is also why I am suggestion we ensure "host country agreement" or a
better term, is done right to get results.Fix it within ICANN or create a
mechanism to make it more "independent and international". How- this is what
I think we need to focus on and see what would work within the current US
administration.

As for the last point, not sure I agree it is totally useless. To get them
to agree to principles and a predetermined method and process to reach the
final goal, may be more achievable than having all the answers now.

On the other hand, to take your point that it is useless will be also saying
that WSIS is a waste of time. Possibly, just as the 1996-98 open consultaion
process initiated by the USG that did not lead to the final creation of
ICANN, was indeed a waste of time. That is a different discussion
altogether. Then it would be finding a forum that US can agree to, and have
discussions within.

If we are looking to do something at WSIS_ then let's do our homework, use
terms that mean something to the USG and determine a process that will
realistically work.

Laina