[governance] oversight

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Mon Oct 17 08:06:19 EDT 2005

Discussion about oversight has been good.  But we
need to move on from general ideas to
contributions for the prepcom in Tunis.

Text of the statement the caucus made on oversight in Geneva is copied below.
Do you agree?
If not, what should be changed?
And can we turn this text into language suitable for the chair's paper?

Specifically, what should we say about a host
country agreement.  I think the question we need
to answer is what does ICANN need from a host
country agreement and why? Could the US supply
such an agreement if immunities (from what?) were
guaranteed? And then what language would we like
to see in the chair's paper? (1 or 2 sentences of
language for the paper.)

Thanks,

Adam

(text of statement)

Statement on behalf of the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus, 29.09.05

Political Oversight

We recognize that the time has come for a change
in the political oversight of the logical
Internet infrastructure. We do not recommend the
creation of a new inter-governmental oversight
organization for domain names and IP addresses.
However, we do recommend the following changes
with regard to ICANN be implemented within a
reasonable time frame:

1. The US Government recommits to handing over
its pre-eminent role of stewardship in relation
to ICANN and the DNS root.

2. ICANN must ensure full and equal
multi-stakeholder participation on its Board, and
throughout its organizational structures of the
community of Internet users, national
governments, civil society, the technical
community, business associations, non profit
organizations and non-business organizations.
Particular attention should be paid to developing
country's participation.

3. ICANN must ensure that it establishes clear,
transparent rules and procedures commensurate
with international norms and principles for
fair administrative decision-making to provide
for predictable policy outcomes.

4. There should be a process for extraordinary
appeal of ICANN'S decisions in the form of an
independent multi-stakeholder review commission
invoked on a case-by-case basis.

Note: Just to be clear, we are not calling for an
inter-governmental oversight structure, and we
don't see an independent review process as a path
towards that direction.

5. ICANN will negotiate an appropriate host
country agreement to replace its California
Incorporation, being careful to retain those
aspects of its California Incorporation that
enhance its accountability to the global Internet
user community.

6. ICANN's decisions, and any host country
agreement, must be required to comply with public
policy requirements negotiated through
international treaties in regard to, inter alia,
human rights treaties, privacy rights, gender
agreements and trade rules.

7. Governments, individuals, and international
organizations, including NGOs, would have the
right and responsibility of bringing violations
of these requirements to the attention of ICANN
and if satisfactory resolution cannot be reached
using ICANN internal processes, should have the
right to invoke a binding appeals process.

8. Once all of the above conditions are met, the
US Government shall transfer the IANA function to
ICANN.

9. It is expected that the International
multi-stakeholder community will take part in the
process through participation in the ICANN
process. It is also expected that the
multi-stakeholder community will observe and
comment on the progress made in this process
through the proposed Forum.

END