[governance] Civil Society Declaration on Internet Governance

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue Nov 29 10:32:04 EST 2005

On 28 nov 2005, at 13.03, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

> My sense is that we are not the only caucus in need to discuss its
> text.

i did not think of this as caucus text. but as the drafting room's
text.  i think it still remains to the caucus to write up a detailed
stmt if it so desires.

i wrote the original and tried, while writing it, to express what i
thought was close to a compromise position. i then passed it on to
others who came into the room to edit.  i take the personal view that
having written the first version, so that there would be something on
paper to start with, it is now up to the rest of the people in CS to
decide if they can live with the text and to change it so that they can.

i can certainly agree with toning down the language about it being
CS's idea to have a forum, but at the point lots of people were
walking around congratulating themselves on having had this idea
accepted and in general did not see any problem pointing out that it
is good to include CS, 'see we even have ideas govts can buy into'.
Bill's variant is certainly fine with me personally.

as for the oversight and the EU position.  while i am personally
against external oversight, i have no personal problem with ongoing
discussions about principles of oversight.  and i know that there is
a strong component in CS that supports oversight. so i thought this
was a middle position on this issue.

as for security and HR.  i would personally prefer they had put in
nothing about security, but if they do, yes, i believe it must always
be offset by adherence to HR.

a.