[governance] Privacy conference @ ICANN / Vancouver

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Fri Nov 25 04:43:10 EST 2005

For those attending the ICANN meeting , here's news of a free half-
day conference on privacy issues concerning ICANN and the Whois
database. Details below.

I and my many colleagues from the Vancouver privacy community look
forward to meeting you . Vancouver and the surrounding area is a
scenic marvel and as such hope you have the time to visit the sites.
The Capilano bridge should not be missed.

look forward to meeting up with some of you in a few days.

kindest regards

Robert

--

Privacy Conference:
Building Bridges on ICANN’s Whois Questions

Tuesday, Nov. 29th,
2:30pm – 6:00pm
The Westin Bayshore Resort & Marina
Stanley Park Ballroom 3
Vancouver, BC

Sponsors:
Noncommercial Users Constituency
The Public Interest Registry
The Registry Constituency and
Cole, Raywid & Braverman LLP

Agenda

Keynote Speaker:
Ms. Heather H. Black, Assistant Privacy Commissioner of Canada

Session I:  Coming into Compliance:  ccTLDs Change Their Whois Databases

This session profiles ccTLDs on three continents who have changed
their Whois procedures (or are in the midst of changing them) based
on national data protection laws.

What are the changes?  How are they working?  How do they allow
personal data to be made available to those who need it?  (This
session will feature considerable time for questions and discussion
with the audience.)

Session II:  Experts on Other Areas of Telecommunications and
Internet Privacy

The Whois debate takes place within the larger context of
telecommunications and Internet privacy, but in the ICANN community
we rarely refer to outside models.  How do telephone companies, ISPs
and others handle requests for personal data, including chatroom and
email identities?

What do these models offer in our work on the Whois questions?

Session III:  What is the Future of the gTLD Whois Databases?

Registries, Registrar and Noncommercial Users Constituency recently
put forward different plans to change the gTLD Whois Database to
provide protection for personal data.

For the first time in a public forum, they will present and discuss
their proposals. (This session also will feature considerable time
for questions and discussion with the audience.)

INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION

If you have any questions regarding this event or to RSVP, please
contact Kathryn Kleiman of the Noncommercial Users Constituency at
KathrynKl at aol.com.

There is no fee for this event.  It is open to all.

Yours,

Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>
Director, Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR)
WSIS Civil Society Bureau, Focal Point for North America & Europe
Tel +1 416 893 0377 Fax +1 416 893 0374