[governance] IG caucus - participation issues

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Thu Nov 24 10:22:56 EST 2005

> 3) process has to be clear for both offline and online. It was very ironical
> that those who did not attend Tunis were better informed than many of us who
> were in Tunis. I missed both IG meetings as it was originally scheduled for
> Thursday at 10am and then got cancelled to a later time and another time on
> Friday. Thursday afternoon I had another event I was involved in which I had
> already notified everyone about, and because Internet connectivity was hard
> for me at Kram and my hotel, and so I was not informed

Laina, I am sorry that you missed this information. Since you replied on
this list to my email in which I confirmed the reservation of rooms for
the changed meetings, I had reasons to believe you know about the new
meeting schedule.

For those who were not online, information about the two meetings was
also on caucus office door and the meeting room door in the civil
society area.

The first meeting changed because I had forgotten that Adam had another
meeting at the time originally scheduled. Sorry again, my fault! Since
Adam's and my term ended it seemed rather important that both of us are
able to attend the meeting. I spent several hours running around and
asking about every caucus member I could get hold of whether or not they
could attend a meeting on Thursday afternoon. It was in my own interest
to get as many people as possible to attend these rather rare face to
face caucus meetings.

While it is true that caucus meetings got postponed rather frequently
over the past two years, we had always good reasons to do so. Often
enough we changed or canceled meetings because the official prepcom
schedule changed. I don't see how we could have avoided this.

Finally, I am against creating what you call "like-minded groups". I see
a lot of merit in discussing our various point of views re government
intervention and accountability. I certainly have benefited a lot from
listening to other peoples' positions. However, I am in favor of
developing a caucus or working group structure that allows us to refer
to and build upon the compromises we have found over the past months.

jeanette

and could not
> participate (I checked that CS notice board daily but this was not used by
> IG caucus and we did not even know there was an IG caucus room as this was
> not announced)

Dear Laina, the first meeting

Only those in the small group seem to know. I saw this even