[governance] IG caucus - participation issues

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Nov 20 20:24:22 EST 2005

Guru:
As I understand Jeanette's position it is more the expression of
frustration at the extreme difficulty of trying to get coherent
positions out of CS organs, when you have an open list in which someone
who joined yesterday mixes with people who have been talking about an
issue three years, two years, 8 months, etc. I know for a FACT that
Jeanette supports an open list and expanding participation in the
caucus.

Obvioously it's important to get agreed, consensus positions from the
caucus when possible - especially about organizational issues and
statements. As I have discussed with her, the real issue here is not the
"disruption" of new participants, but the lack of procedures for voting
or some other collective decision making mechanism.

>>> "Guru at ITforChange.net" <guru at itforchange.net> 11/18/2005 8:49:16 AM

Hi,

I am sending this mail from the CRIS meeting ..

While addressing issues of IG, I heard Jeanette Hoffman, for the third
time in
two days speak about .... how the IG caucus has been working for a long
time
with its members achieving consensus and how in the recent past, after

PC3, 'new members' have come in and have 'disrupted' the process. In
the CRIS
meeting, she also mentioned that ... 'we should make sure in the forum
that
such things do not happen'

In the IG meeting yesterday, Adam clarified, and I too responded to her
view,
saying that IG being a large and complex area is bound to have
different views
and perspectives.

I cannot understand how such closed views on participation can be
propagated
by a person moderating the caucus.

It is clear who Jeanette is referring to as 'disrupting' the process. I

suggest that this issue be clarified - whether the IG caucus would like

these 'new members' to leave the caucus, or Jeanette should be asked to
stop
making such comments, specially when she is speaking on behalf of the
IG
caucus.

Guru

--