[governance] comment to subcommitte nov 15

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Nov 15 11:17:44 EST 2005

I have no problem with this statement. It's absurd NOT to include the
"internet technical community" in a multi-stakeholder forum dealing with
IG. If the problem with that is that "internet tech community" is taken
as a code word for ISOC then I assure you that many, many internet
techies would make no such equation. The statement about the IETF is a
good balance. It is not quite correct, however - the real difference
between IETF process and public policy debates is not the presence of
"discursive deliberative process" (which does exist in IETF) but the
difference between _voluntary_ standards setting and policy decisions,
which typically are compulsory and have distributional effects which
prevent consensus.

>>> apeake at gmail.com 11/15/2005 4:35:45 AM >>>
I read the following text this morning. I expect there may be
disgareements
over two parts: