[governance] Bloody Aussies

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Nov 15 06:31:47 EST 2005

Australians recognise as their national public holiday a day called Anzac
Day, where some thousands of young Australians in 1914, at the behest of
their colonial masters the British, ran headlong into Turkish bullet fire at
a place called Gallipoli. Thousands died in a futile and poorly planned
manoeuvre.

This spirit of Anzac - doing stupid things at the behest of powerful friends
- has remained a prized national characteristic.

So don't be surprised at the Australian role today. It's ingrained, very
typical of Australian politics in a range of areas.

I hope common sense prevails nevertheless.

(for those following less closely, Australia seemed happy today to threaten
consensus despite the Chair's pleadings, when the US and Algeria appeared to
be ready to drop a host of square bracketed areas of text including the
basic forum proposal. Australia was happy to block all of this progress by
insisting on insertion of some innocuous wording rejected yesterday).

Ian Peter (I'll still support the Australian cricket team though)