[governance] latest canadian proposal on the forum

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Mon Nov 14 12:59:20 EST 2005

Hi,

On this as all things I would support a multistakehilder approach ie
even to the formation of the forum, with eg UN, ISOC and others involved
in the orgainzational phase.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

>>> Vittorio Bertola <vb at bertola.eu.org> 11/14/2005 12:49 PM >>>
carlos a. afonso ha scritto:
> One would expect proposals from such governments as Canada
(developed
> country) should also make considerations regarding funding for any
new
> mechanism. They are worried about the duration and evaluation process
of
> the forum, but no word on them helping to fund it.
>
> Of course the emphasis on capacity building *only* is unfortunate.
What
> do they want? A world Internet university?

Hi, I don't think there's doubt on this in this caucus, we've all
agreed
that the forum must have a broad mission covering all IG issues,
including but not limited to development, and we've said this loudly
earlier today. Also, almost all parties (EU, Likemindedgroup, even
Latin
American countries I think, and I've heard Uruguay in favour of that)
support this, it's just US/Canada/Australia insisting on the
development-oriented forum.

Also, US and Canada have now started to push the idea that there's no
need for further involvement of the UN, it should be ISOC to organize
this forum and manage it. I see the point that ISOC supports the IETF
and so why shouldn't it support this thing as well, but I imagine we
might be opposed, isn't it? After all, and even while being an ISOC
Chapter officer, I think that this forum deserves the broad civil
society participation typical of the UN settings, rather than the
technical focus that characterizes ISOC (not mentioning its, well,
growingly embarrassing vicinity to the US Government - I think that
when
you are a global organization and then the Bush administration picks
you
as their trustee for what they define a vital resource, you should pose

yourself some questions).
--
vb.             [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a]
bertola.eu.org]<-----