[governance] Internet Governance scenarios

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Mon Nov 14 11:59:28 EST 2005

 From a community networking point of view, I have been working to
summarize positions in the public dialogue on Internet Governance.
When the key drivers of people’s actions on public policy are even
more highly ambiguous than normal, I have sometimes found scenario
construction to be a useful analytical tool.  So I tried that out on
the IG issue.  The result, in 3 pages, is now in the Telecommunities
Canada web site, on the page:

http://www.tc.ca/tcadvocacyandreports.html

On that page, in PDF, OpenOffice and MSWord formats, look for the entry:

WSIS/WGIG Internet Governance - November 2005
Experiencing the Information Society: four Internet futures.

Given that nothing predicts the future, scenarios don’t either.  But
they do provide a deeper way of looking at the range of choices you
can make and the consequences they might have.

For those of you currently in Tunis, and in the struggle face-to-face
in all those hot and hard to find committee rooms, my apologies for
posting a long-term view.  Bad timing!

Garth Graham
Telecommunities Canada