[governance] APC - Forum draft?

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Thu Nov 10 17:08:09 EST 2005

> I think that this notion of 'bottom-up' can in fact hide concentration of power and
> exclusion.

Yes, this is defintely true. But I am not sure if constraining
membership to some hand-picked people is a good remedy.

It assumes that everyone who is interested and who is affected have
> the access, capacity, resources etc. to speak out and participate.  This method
> on its own has not been particularly effective in decentralising internet
> development and decision-making to date.

Agreed.

> One could characterise the WGIG as being constituted through a combining a
> 'bottom-up' process with a process that was sensitive to issue of regional, gender
> and other divesity.  That is what we had in mind for the Forum.

> The idea was that there would be a public call for nominations for members of the
> Forum, in the way there was for members of WGIG.

This I find slightly confusing. Are you really talking about a _forum_
or a new working group, say, a WGIG 2? I thought of a forum in terms of
a much larger membership and a more open process than the 40 members of
WGIG and its public consultations.

jeanette