[governance] APC - Recommendations to the WSIS on InternetGovernance

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Nov 10 12:58:07 EST 2005

The APC text is excellent, and it is done with sensitivity to all shades on
views in the CS - without loosing its coherence and 'workability'.

I propose we accept it as a whole. I too may have a clarification or two to
seek here - but they are relatively minor. And I am sure others will have
their points - big and small. But time is short - and unless there is a real
dis-agreement we can try and present this position.

It is good that the proposed IG convention is described in manner that can
bring about a global public policy oversight not only on bodies  that are
engaged with resource allocation and technical functions of IG, but also on
governments in terms of their involvement with the Internet. This is the
right way to look at public policy and 'rule of law'. And incorporation of
an egalitarian global public policy with distinct human rights commitments
can be a good check on the governments.

It is also good to note that the 'developmental aspects' of IG are given a
central and not a peripheral place. Description of Internet as a public good
and recommendation for providing it as a public provision are important
recommendations.

Parminder