[governance] Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Thu Nov 10 08:40:29 EST 2005

Grande Adam,

Adam Peake wrote:

> At 5:54 PM -0200 11/9/05, Carlos Afonso wrote:
>
>> A bit late... but below are my "yes, no maybes" on the
>> agreeement/disagreement list made by Vittorio.
>>
>> I agree with the idea of holding to the consensus we have already
>> achieved. But... which one? Taking Vittorio's list below, let us
>> acknowledge that only a very small minority of people (mostly from the
>> North) are active in this discussion right now.
>

> Carlos,
>
> Remember that many of these statements have been discussed many times
> on this list. 300-400 copies of our response to the WGIG report were
> handed out to as many CS people as we could find during prepcom 3, and
> we near begged for comments at each CS content and themes meeting.
> The statements we read during prepcom were usually discussed at
> meetings, and you might have noticed I have asked for comments a few
> times since.

I agree, I am only trying to remind all of us that we still are just a
very small group of people regarding what we try in some way to
represent as mandated -- and heavily influenced by people who are not
from developing (hate this word but...) countries.

Not that we active participants are doing badly or not concerned about
the interests of civil society at large, wherever we come from -- to the
contray -- but I am talking about perceptions. If things go well, we
have just done our job, but if things go wrong, for many it will be the
fault of CS, whatever explanation we give to clarify the limits of our
representation, and this small, very active, concerned, competent and
dedicated group, will be the glass window to receive the stones...

> But we should be very sensitive to how we describe support for (lack
> of) these ideas.  And who was involved.

Very true. This is my main concern.

> Hope you can escape from your govt next week and join us, we missed
> you in Geneva.

Yes, nearly impossible to try and follow the strange (and very active)
ways of our "nervous" delegation... ;) But please take into account
that, notwithstanding the matters of procedure (pro or against the
participation of CS in meetings) -- and we CS people in the delegation
picked up an internal fight regarding those procedural positions, as you
know --, the core position of Brazil has been built as a consensus with
civil society organizations in BR which are active participants in the
IG discussions here, so our presence there was (and is) to make sure
what has been agreed in Brazil is not distorted in the heat of the
discussions.

But this time we from BR will have more people so we will be able to be
more present.

frt rgds

--c.a.