[governance] Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 15:04:05 EST 2005

On 11/9/05, Danny Younger <dannyyounger at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I cannot agree to paragraph 46.
>
> Perhaps you might agree with the following wording:

nope, can't do it.  I prefer Adam's para 46.

> 46.  Experimental registry systems offering name
> registration services in an alternative set of
> exclusive domains developed as early as January 1996.
> Although visible to only a fraction of Internet users,
> alternative systems such as the name.space, AlterNIC,
> and eDNS affiliated registries contributed to the
> community's dialogue on the evolution of DNS
> administration.

this is true. sort of.

> The acceptance of multiple roots in the DNS is an
> important enabler of innovation, competition and
> choice.

also a very bad idea IMO.

> Root-level competition will allow the end user
> community (the market) to decide which constellation
> of root-servers to support on the basis of value
> offered (for instance, one root system may carry the
> proposed .xxx TLD while another may choose not to
> subject its users to such prurient offerings).

You forgot: "and lead to chaos"

> An ample array of choices will result from competition
> at the root-level.  Current ICANN TLD selection
> processes limited to the legacy root will not offer
> the prospect of a large quantity of meaningful choices
> for the broader Internet community anytime in the near
> future -- this is the hazard inherent in the single
> root system approach.

For some value of 'large choice

I've got enough choice AFAIAC.

--
Cheers,

McTim
nic-hdl:      TMCG
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In
practice there is"
Yogi Berra