[governance] Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Wed Nov 9 11:02:08 EST 2005

Hans Klein wrote:

>I offer here a conceptual distinction that may clarify the idea of
>"political oversight."
>ICANN need political oversight by *representative* institutions.  But at
>the global level that is problematic. The only two candidates are
>governments and global elections.
>
>Explanation:
>
>ICANN exercises public powers: it makes rules for firms and for
>individuals.  It is a regulator.
>
>As a regulator, it needs political oversight.  ICANN's exercise of public
>power must be legitimate.

I agree with the second, but not necesarily with the first assertion,
and that is exactly one of the major points in this debate.
Could oversight be substituted by "social control" ?
If the current structures were improved to allow a much better
participation of all the stakeholders, also including governments, you
don't think that it could work well without specific oversight?
This is what seems most exciting to me, the possiility of seriously
develop new ways of governance.

Raúl