[governance] Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Nov 9 09:26:44 EST 2005

Vittorio and Raul

Thanks, Vittorio, for this useful work. I think we should develop a common
position on the forum and it is unlikely that a coherent position can be
written on the oversight. And in-coherent statements - stating
half-positions - will not add anything, and at the worst will be interpreted
in a way in which they were not intended. For example merely to say ICANN
needs to be reformed (though I of course agree with it), without saying what
happens to political oversight connotes status quo position on oversight or
a position whereby ICANN takes on its own oversight.

On oversight we just may say - and that’s a major point - that the
unilateral control by one government on political oversight of ICANN is
un-acceptable, and US should give up its pre-eminent position in this regard
in interest of equity and fair play.

Can it tentatively be listed an agreed position, unless objected to. I found
no one say anything against this position.

On oversight issue, groups of organizations and individuals should be
encouraged to submit positions they agree on to the official process under
the names of the agreeing parties.

And we should also not be too disappointed by this fact that a common
position could not be developed - though some disappointment is inevitable -
lets consider it as the strength of the process that we agreed to disagree.

Parminder

PS: There have been a lot of postings, and some of then argued quite well
and in good detail, for initiating  a process for formulating principles and
rules which will inform the institutional mechanism of IG - possibly, in
form of a framework convention. I think this must also be listed as a
non-agreed position, because it is a major proposal for those who back it.
(so if a  late attempt of trying  a last minute agreement on non-agreed
parts is being tried, it may also address this possibility) .