[governance] Why do you associate the tech community with private sector ?

Ronda Hauben ronda at panix.com
Wed Nov 9 08:01:26 EST 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> Il giorno dom, 06-11-2005 alle 17:49 +0100, Hervé Le Crosnier ha
> scritto:

>> 	Why do the technical community is not in the civil
>> 	society part ?
>>
>> 	Most of the founding techniques of the internet came from
>> 	universities, from the free software community.

I wondered what you are referring to when you by the free software
movement. The linux community grew up in the 1990's and has made its
contribution to the Internet, but there had been many engineers and other
technical people who contributed to the development of the Internet
from 1973 when work on tcp/ip onward.

Some worked for places like Bell Labs or other research entities of
corporations. (Bell Labs was a special place at the time).

Others were connected with universities.

There was a research spirit then being supported by government and
the fact that public or research funding was being used to develop
the Net which helped to mandate that there be a public purpose to
the efforts of those who were part of the developing the Internet.

> I think that it's also because the free software movement has not been
> very involved in Internet Governance forums until now. I've almost never
> seen any FS activist at ICANN or at the WGIG consultations, while I've
> seen many and many engineers from big corporations. Perhaps the FS
> people should start to become more active in these forums so that their
> role (which was fundamental to the growth of the Internet, as you point
> out) is more clearly recognized.

It seems important not to confuse the FS people with the earlier research
and technical community who made substantial contributions to the
development of the Internet. The Internet's history starts in 1973 not the
early 1990s.

I had hoped that as part of the WSIS process there would be an effort to
look at the history of the Internet's development in order to see if there
were lessons to be learned to helping to contribute to its future.

I still propose that would be useful. ICANN was a diversion from that
history.

Cheers

Ronda

http://www.circleid.com/posts/the_internet_and_its_governance_where_should_we_look_for_models/