[governance] Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Wed Nov 9 06:16:22 EST 2005

Hello,

taking up Adam's suggestion from another thread, I think we need to
agree on what we agree or disagree upon, so that our coordinators know
what can or cannot be said in the name of the Caucus.

This is my personal attempt at that. I've sincerely tried to be fair.

I would hope that, perhaps, some non-agreements might be turned into
agreements, if we discover that I've been too conservative in
interpreting people's opinions. On the other hand, if you disagree on
something given for agreed, please point that out.

* OVERSIGHT

-- GENERAL OVERSIGHT

1. I see agreement that all issues should be discussed in
multistakeholder settings.

2. I see no agreement on whether there should or should not be a
governments-only council to set "directions" or "principles".

-- DNS OVERSIGHT

3. I see no agreement on whether there should or should not be
governmental oversight over ICANN.

4. I see no agreement on whether a multilateralized version of the
present USG oversight role is preferable to the status quo.

5. I see no agreement on whether ICANN should or should not be
"anchored" to the United Nations.

6. I see agreement that any increase in governmental oversight over the
DNS and IP addressing system (e.g., an expansion of the areas where
governmental approval is necessary) is undesirable.

7. I see no agreement on whether direct involvement of governments in
the ICANN Board is desirable or even acceptable.

8. I see agreement that governments should not be directly involved
below the level of the ICANN Board, i.e. in "day-to-day operations".

9. I see agreement that bigger representation should be given to civil
society (including individual users, the academic community, the free
software movement and NGOs in general) in the ICANN Board and policy
making structures.

10. I see agreement on a multistakeholder appeal mechanism for ICANN,
provided that we don't get too much into detail.

11. I see agreement that there should be formal commitments by the
government who hosts ICANN to ensure its independence, provided that we
don't discuss the form.

12. I see agreement that ICANN processes should be accountable,
transparent and democratic.

* FORUM

13. I see agreement that a new multistakeholder Forum is a good thing.

14. I see no agreement on whether the Forum should or should not be
"anchored" to the United Nations. However, I see agreement that Annan,
as UN SG, is the person who is supposed to start it up and make it
happen.

15. I see agreement that all stakeholders should participate in it on an
equal basis.

16. I see agreement that its procedures must be open, transparent,
accountable and democratic.

17. I see agreement that "any stakeholder could bring up any issue".

18. I see agreement that the agenda should not be limited by the fact
that the issue is already discussed elsewhere, provided that there is no
duplication of work.

19. I see agreement that the forum should be a space for discussion and
for building consensus on non-binding policy proposals.

20. I see agreement that the forum should not negotiate binding
documents.

21. I see no agreement on whether there should or should not be an
"executive group", however, I see agreement that if any is created, it
should involve all stakeholders on an equal basis.

22. I see agreement that the WGIG open consultations should be taken as
a model for participation, and that online interaction mechanisms should
be used extensively to allow remote participation.

23. I see agreement that a small Secretariat should be set up by Annan
to drive its creation.

24. I see no agreement on whether an initial "founding group" of
stakeholder representatives should be created as well.

25. I see agreement that the target launch date should be before the end
of 2006.