[governance] Why do you associate the tech community with private sector ?

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Wed Nov 9 05:38:17 EST 2005

Il giorno dom, 06-11-2005 alle 17:49 +0100, Hervé Le Crosnier ha
scritto:
> 	In many of recent mails on this list we find this three
> 	points list.
>
> 	Why do the technical community is not in the civil
> 	society part ?
>
> 	Most of the founding techniques of the internet came from
> 	universities, from the free software community.

I know, actually I think I explained that in an earlier message of mine:

> Grossly speaking, engineers (with the
> very significant exception of the free software movement) tend to be
> associated with corporate employers, while universities tend to be
> considered part of civil society, but that's of course very
> approximate.

I think that it's also because the free software movement has not been
very involved in Internet Governance forums until now. I've almost never
seen any FS activist at ICANN or at the WGIG consultations, while I've
seen many and many engineers from big corporations. Perhaps the FS
people should start to become more active in these forums so that their
role (which was fundamental to the growth of the Internet, as you point
out) is more clearly recognized.