[governance] present draft doesnt represent CS position

Hans Klein hans.klein at pubpolicy.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 8 01:02:00 EST 2005

Thank you, Parminder, for raising very important points.  (The responses
are also thoughtful and encouraging.)

I was very active in the early phases of ICANN, from 1997 (during
negotiations over Internet privatization) to about 2002 (elimination of
user representation on the ICANN board.)  During WSIS I have, of course,
been less active.

The early history of ICANN should weigh heavily on people's assessments of
the feasibility of ICANN reform.  Non-governmental governance (a
"privatized" ICANN) is very vulnerable to industry capture.

In the recently-posted "Rule of Law" paper, I tried to give a warning about
the dangers of privatized narrow Internet governance.  The history to date
has been downright scary:

quote: <<<<<<
Regulatory Capture
ICANN suffers from regulatory capture, mostly to the benefit of US-based
corporations.  To cite the main episodes:
·       Capture of International Forum on the White Paper (IFWP)
(1998):  The process by which the Internet community was to design ICANN
was captured by powerful industry and technical stakeholders.  They
boycotted public meetings and successfully proposed their own
secretly-written bylaws for ICANN.
·       Capture of ICANN Board (2002): The same industry and technical
interests eliminated user representation on the board.  (This remains the
case today.)
·       Capture of the Internet Society (2002): In 2002 ISOC revised its
bylaws to ensure that the society would be governed by its largest
corporate members.  This has led to two derivative acts of capture:
         o      Capture of .ORG registry.  This registry is now managed by
ISOC.
         o      Capture of ICANN’s At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC).
Nearly 60% of certified user-related organizations in ICANN are chapters of
ISOC.
·       Capture of .COM by Network Solutions [Verisign]. This US
corporation has extended its very profitable control of the most popular
domain name.

The goal of legitimate private governance of the Internet has not been
met.  Powerful stakeholders are able to bend rules in their favor, while
the influence of users and civil society groups has been minimized.  (In
light of this, it is risky for such groups to endorse the private
governance model.  To draw on an old parable, it is like the hens proposing
to partner with foxes in guarding the henhouse.)  The goal of bottom-up,
consensus based policy-making has proven unworkable.

In light of this, the US’s hesitancy to fully privatize ICANN has been
appropriate.  To give ICANN independence would definitively pass public
powers to the powerful stakeholders that control ICANN.

[p. 4. "ICANN Reform: Establishing the Rule of Law"; emphasis added]

So endowing a non-governmental organization with public powers (ordinarily
reserved to governments) is, to my mind, unwise.

What the discussion on this list has not focused on so much is the
"constitutionalism" or "rule of law" argument.  That is, we need to create
a legal framework that limits the powers of governance and that protects
rights.  A number of people on this list (e.g. Jeanette) have touched on
the constitutionalism issue, but I think it merits more detailed discussion.

Hans Klein
Internet Governance Project
Internet and Public Policy Project
Georgia Tech