[governance] Present draft does not consider 'real oversight options'

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Nov 7 06:04:23 EST 2005

Avri

>> I also did not get into who wields the external oversight?  i assume some
form of multistakeholder group needs to be formed, what ever the mix.>>

But that precisely is the big question. We cant say we have done everything
else, only this little detail is left. The whole issue of political
oversight hinges on sorting this question. Please see my other mail on this
issue to the IG list. We cant submit a CS position without sorting out and
agreeing on this 'mother of issues'.

If we can agree on having a legitimate political body do the external
oversight, after it is taken away from the US  - then I am in complete
agreement with all the text in the draft on the needed reform in ICANN...

>> but i hope this gives us a framework for trying to figure out exactly
where the differnces are between the different positions.]]]

 The framework for figuring out the differences cannot be built outside this
vital point - it has to built from a discussion on and sorting out this
vital point --- after that it wont really be much of a problem..

Parminder

  _____