[governance] Text on oversight

Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Sun Nov 6 19:17:55 EST 2005

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> However, Adam rightfully objected that he and others do not think
> that governments should have equal representation on the ICANN Board
> and, in general, in ICANN's technical processes. So I tried to reword
> it as it is now:
>
> "ICANN must ensure full and balanced multi-stakeholder participation,
> in appropriate ways throughout its policy development structures, of
> the three stakeholder groups:
> * national governments, including intergovernmental organizations;
> * the private sector, including the technical community;
> * civil society, including the community of individual Internet
> users, non-profit organizations and the academic community.
> In particular, the current dominance of the ICANN Board and decision-
> making processes by Western business representatives should be
> balanced by an equal representation of the global community of
> individual users and civil society organizations."
>
> The idea is: we don't want to say that governments should have seats
> on the ICANN Board, but we want to say that civil society should get
> half of the Board seats, as per the original ICANN footprint.
>
> In this context, "Western business" identifies the fact that ICANN
> decision-making positions are mostly occupied by people who work with
> developed country businesses,

Could you demonstrate that this is a big problem?

Vanda Scartezini, Raimundo Beca,  Mouhamet Diop came from private sector
from developing countries (of course if you consider Chile and Brazil as
"western countries".......), Alejandro Pisandy and Veni  Markovsky came
from Civil Society,  Paul Twomey cames from a "eastern" country, Peter
Dengate and Demi Getschko are ccTLDs operators and they don't came from
the western developed countries.
How many Board members are "western business representatives" ?

Then, i think that the assertion:  " the current dominance of the ICANN
Board and decision- making processes by Western business
representatives.....",  is not very easy to defend and it certainly is
not the main problem of ICANN.

Raúl