[governance] After Tunis

David Goldstein goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 5 23:52:44 EST 2005

Hi all

I would say that it's not possible to represent "civil
society" in deliberations. Civil society would be much
larger than this list, but this is not to say there is
not much this list can contribute.

I would argue this list can represent a certain group
of civil society and do it well, but not represent
civil society around the world.

Apart from that I do agree entirely with Vittorio's
comments.

And I would love to contribute more, but there are
only so many hours in a day!

Cheers
David

--- Ronda Hauben <ronda at panix.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I'm not very happy for the fact that proposals and
> even names for the
> > after-Tunis period have already started to
> circulate. I think we should
> > stop that discussion until the caucus meeting, and
> perhaps plan for an
> > open process to address it in full.
>
> This is helpful.
> >
> > In any case, I think that if this caucus wants to
> turn into anything
> > serious, then it should first of all become
> serious in its structure and
> > procedures, that should be well defined, open,
> transparent, and
> > democratic. We can't complain about the failures
> and captures of ICANN
> > or of the UN, and then operate through ways that
> are ill defined,
> > intransparent, undemocratic, and, in practice,
> determined by a small
> > circle of a few individuals who are friends each
> of the other and have
> > been working together for years.
> >
> > This is not anyone's fault, but let's not think
> that a mailing list in
> > which 90% of the messages come from ten people
> (and in which everyone
> > else often gets ignored) can claim to be
> representative for global civil
> > society in future IG processes, ok? If we want to
> make that claim, then
> > we must do plenty of homeworks.
> >
> This is helpful as well. It is appreciated that you
> are publicly
> share this serious problem of what has gone on with
> this caucus
> and mailng list.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> Thanks especially to you Vittorio
> > --
> > vb.             [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a]
> bertola.eu.org]<-----
> > http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Prima o poi...
>
> Cheers
>
> Ronda

David Goldstein
 address: 4/3 Abbott Street
             COOGEE NSW 2034
             AUSTRALIA
 email: Goldstein_David @yahoo.com.au
 phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9665 5773 - home