[governance] After Tunis

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sat Nov 5 09:23:18 EST 2005

All,

I'm not very happy for the fact that proposals and even names for the
after-Tunis period have already started to circulate. I think we should
stop that discussion until the caucus meeting, and perhaps plan for an
open process to address it in full.

In any case, I think that if this caucus wants to turn into anything
serious, then it should first of all become serious in its structure and
procedures, that should be well defined, open, transparent, and
democratic. We can't complain about the failures and captures of ICANN
or of the UN, and then operate through ways that are ill defined,
intransparent, undemocratic, and, in practice, determined by a small
circle of a few individuals who are friends each of the other and have
been working together for years.

This is not anyone's fault, but let's not think that a mailing list in
which 90% of the messages come from ten people (and in which everyone
else often gets ignored) can claim to be representative for global civil
society in future IG processes, ok? If we want to make that claim, then
we must do plenty of homeworks.

Thanks,