[governance] Resumed PrepCom-3 in Tunis (13-15 November 2002)

Adam Peake (ajp@glocom.ac.jp) apeake at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:34:02 EST 2005

On 11/5/05, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wz-berlin.de> wrote:

> > * seats only for 30 CS!! Are they kidding? Is this a realistic #, or do
> > we need more?
>
> I guess we cannot expect that all those seats are to be filled by caucus
> members. We have no idea how many people may attend the prepcom who are
> not subscribed to this list. What about Tunisian GONGOs, for example?
> jeanette

Ask for 6 to be reserved for the caucus so we can organize work as we
did in prepcom 3 and earlier meetings. And then share the rest among
people who want to observe, but we don't ask for any control over the
remaining 24 seats.

We coordinate with other caucuses about presenting text. People can
come in as they need to speakusing one of the 6 seats (just about what
we did during the last two prepcoms.)  That way we have the minimum
for speaking and listening/note taking.

Does this make sense, sound selfish.

And ask for overflow rooms where people can watch and listen.  That
kind of thing has been arranged before.

Adam

> [...]
> >

> > --
> >
> > Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org <mailto:rguerra at privaterra.org>>
> >
> > Managing Director, Privaterra <http://www.privaterra.org>
> >

> > On 4-Nov-05, at 12:29 PM, CONGO - Philippe Dam wrote:
> >
> >> Dear all,
> >>

> >> It has been confirmed that the resumed meetings of PrepCom-3 will take
> >> in the Kram Exhibition Centre (Room of the Committee of the Whole,
> >> around 400 seats). PrepCom-3 will start meeting on 13 November at
> >> 12:00 with an organisational Plenary.
> >>

> >> The WSIS ES decided that no overpass will be instituted for that
> >> meeting, but due to the limited size of the meeting room, we were
> >> informed that only 30 seats will be reserved for CS observers in
> >> meetings we are allowed to attend (Plenary meetings and Sub-Committees).
> >>

> >> In this case, we highly encourage you to consider that these 30 seats
> >> should in priority be used by CS participants who were actively
> >> involved in the previous steps of the WSIS process. You must
> >> understand that this will be the last round of negotiations, so that
> >> very high priority will be given only to those who can propose
> >> specific language for negotiation to the parts of the outcome
> >> documents under discussion.
> >>

> >> The organisational aspect of this resumed PrepCom- 3 in Tunis is not
> >> yet finalized. Sub-Committee A, on Internet governance, will hold some
> >> sessions, chaired by Ambassador Khan. But as regards Sub-Committee B
> >> on other Issues (political chapeau, financial mechanisms,
> >> implementation and follow-up), it is not quite sure if it would meet
> >> or if discussions would take place directly in negotiation groups.
> >> Indeed it is not yet clear if Lindall Shope-Mafole will be in Tunis
> >> for resumed PrepCom-3 to chair sub-committee B, whereas Janis Karklins
> >> already chaired discussions in negotiation groups in October on these
> >> issues and would go faster and further if he continues. However he
> >> couldn't chair a sub-committee because of his other position of chair
> >> of WSIS II PrepComs.
> >>

> >> There will another Intergovernmental Bureau meeting in Geneva next
> >> week, and at this occasion we might have more definitive information
> >> about that.
> >>

> >> Best regards,
> >>

> >> * Philippe Dam
> >> ** CONGO - WSIS CS Secretariat
> >> * * 11, Avenue de ** la Paix **
> >> CH-1202 ** Geneva **
> >> Tel: +41 22 301 1000
> >> Fax: +41 22 301 2000
> >> E-mail: ** wsis at ngocongo.org * <mailto:wsis at ngocongo.org>*
> >> Website: ** www.ngocongo.org <BLOCKED::http://www.ngocongo.org> **   *
> >>
> >> *   *
> >>
> >> * The Conference of NGOs ( ** CONGO ) is an international, membership
> >> association that facilitates the participation of NGOs in United
> >> Nations debates and decisions. Founded in 1948, CONGO 's major
> >> objective is to ensure the presence of NGOs in exchanges among the
> >> world's governments and United Nations agencies on issues of global

Email from Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>
Email from my Gmail account probably means I am travelling.  Please
reply to  <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> Thanks!