[governance] IGC participation was CIVIL SOCIETY MEDIA GUIDELINES TUNIS2005

Ronda Hauben ronda at panix.com
Fri Nov 4 10:41:29 EST 2005

> Is there some specific measures you are proposing?

Yes - that when people try to participate their contributions be welcomed.

And when statements are issued in the name of the few who are welcomed
as participants on the list that either there be a way to include the fact
that this the result of the agreeement of a few, or that there be some way
to include the other viewpoints.

When I tried to propose something for a statement a while ago, two people
disagreed with me and so what I proposed was not included.

I remember going to the meeting after ISOC in 1998 in Geneva when there
was a process that was called "consensus" to propose what the so called
"internet community" wanted.

Essentially what were the viewpoints of a certain set of people was called
the "consensus".

A more open process is where there is a discussion, and people respond to
each others views. And the discussion is what is produced, not some
statement that has been created by a few people agreeing and
leaving the rest out of the process.

There is a different goal in mind, than the goal that seems to be the
purpose on this list of coming up with statements (and now even 'talking
points' ?)

If there is a vibrant discussion about something, than perhaps some
salient issues come out of the discussion.

But in the absence of such discussion and the welcoming of the
differences, and the discussion of them, reflects the narrow process that
has gone into creating it.

Internet governance requires the welcoming of dissent, discussion and
controversy.

But unless there is the understanding why this is true, and the effort to
accommodate differences of viewpoint and to welcome discussion over the
differences then no mechanisms can be found.

Once there is an understanding why differences of opinion and the
discussion over those differences are important, than there will be a
variety of means to encourage and support his.

It is a dampener of the issues to ask me how to do this.

It is helpful to hear that there are 288 people on the list.

The issue is not how many of them actually paricipate, but whether there
is controversy and discussion that makes them want to participate and then
welcomes their contributions.

Thanks for responding.

Ronda