[governance] IP3: "ICANN Reform: Establishing the Rule of Law"

Hans Klein hans.klein at pubpolicy.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 3 21:00:45 EST 2005

Dear Governance List Subscribers,

A word of explanation on this analysis. I have not been very active on this
list, but I keep up on the postings.

I went through the recent very rich discussion on "political
oversight."  There were a LOT of good ideas there, but I had difficulty
integrating them all into one coherent picture of what was being proposed.

This paper offers a synthetic framework for understanding all the myriad
issues around "political oversight."  I hope that some of your find it
useful in seeing the big picture.

The paper expresses a lot of skepticism towards non-governmental
governance. I realize that many in CS favor such an approach.  The paper
lists the instances of industry "capture" that have occurred around ICANN,
and the list is surprising long: IFWP (1998), ICANN Board (2002), ISOC
(2002), .ORG, ALAC, and .COM.  That history certainly does not give grounds
for optimism on non-governmental governance.

There are some fairly detailed recommendations as well.

See you all in Tunis!

Hans

   Hans K. Klein
   Associate Professor                                Tel: 404-894-2258
   School of Public Policy, MC:0345            Fax: 404-894-0535
   Georgia Institute of
Technology               hans.klein at pubpolicy.gatech.edu
   Atlanta, GA 30332-0345
   http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~hk28/

   Director, Internet and Public Policy Project (IP3) of Georgia Tech
   http://www.ip3.gatech.edu/