[governance] IGC participation was CIVIL SOCIETY MEDIA GUIDELINES TUNIS2005

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Thu Nov 3 16:47:20 EST 2005

On 3 nov 2005, at 16.27, Ronda Hauben wrote:

> I am still proposing that there be some way to open up the processes
> of this caucus and mailing list, rather than continuing to claim
> that the small set of people, most of whom have been able to go
> to previous WSIS meetings, are representative of something larger
> than themselves.

Well the list exists and the wiki has now been opened up, though I
don't think many people are using yet.

Is there some specific measures you are proposing?

And although few people speak on this list, there are 288 members on
the list, and looking at their addresses, many come from the economic
and global south.  Is there some way you suggest to get the people on
this list to be more active?  It is something I would like to explore
especially as we move into a post WSIS period.  One of the goals we
push is capacity building in internet governance, but I am still not
sure any of us has a clear idea as to how this should be done.

It is a difficult problem.  In one of my day jobs, I work with
indigenous people.  While they are very interested in the governance
topics when we sit and talk about them, no amount of encouragement
convinces most of them to get involved in the discussions - even
though some actually do attend the prepcom and WSIS meetings.

a.