[governance] Transcript of Internet Chat with U.S. Ambassador David Gross

Danny Younger dannyyounger at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 12:16:58 EST 2005

Name: Reeds

While I am a libertarian at heart, in the case of the
internet root directory/naming and ICANN, my take is
that "too many cooks will spoil the pot". I believe
that the internet community is served best by an
authority that is not politized by over participation.
Further, the current governance of the internet is in
no way limiting any organization, country, or
individual from participating. There are far greater
issues, such as simply providing citizen access to the
internet in the developing world! [November 2, 2005
10:24]

Name: L. D.

greetings and intro: Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff.
[November 2, 2005 11:00]

Name: John Matel (moderator)

--------------
This week President Bush praised Macedonia's
implementation of a peace agreement. What did that
agreement do?

A. Ended the exploitation of Kanamits
B. Ended fighting between Macedonian security forces
and ethnic Albanian insurgents
C. Ended the Bosnian conflict
D. Ended the Second Punic War

http://usinfo.state.gov/eur/Archive/2005/Oct/26-235468.html

----------------
 [November 2, 2005 11:04]

Name: Taran

Ambassador Gross, I agree that creativity and
innovation are aspects of the internet that must be
addressed, but I would like to hear your ideas on how
this could be guaranteed to countries outside of the
United States in the future, and what steps would be
made without a UN body to reassure other member states
of the United Nations that the United States is not
simply maintaining control for it's own purposes. That
is actually a question which I expect you are prepared
to address. [November 2, 2005 08:24]

Name: David Gross

Thank you for your question. We believe that one of
the most important aspects of the Iinternet is the
potential freedom that people can have to obtain
information and to express their opinions. In phase
one of WSIS this issue was
addressed and a commitment was made by all countries
to promote freedom of expression. We regularly remind
goverments who are failing to live up to this
commitment that it is important that change be made so
that their people can enjoy the same benifits as
others around the world. [November 2, 2005 11:10]

Name: Barbara

Hello!
Did chat already start?
Barbara Kramzar

Yes [November 2, 2005 11:11]

Name: Murat

It seems that the Internet governance advocates have
some concerns but they do not have a process in mind
to solve the problems they have already raised.
Therefore at this stage,there is no point to create
one or more organizations to oversee the Internet.

In fact, nobody restricts the formation of
organizations, societies or working groups to discuss
these issues and suggest effective processes for their
resolution. If and when these processes and an
organizational framework to facilitate them emerge and
challange the existing structures, these new
structures and processes should be established without
sacrificing the individuals' freedom of expression and
right to access information.

 [November 2, 2005 11:14]

Name: John Matel

----------------
The Cassini-Huygens mission is a cooperative project
among which agencies?

A. NASA, the European Space Agency and Agenzia
Spaziale Italiana
B. NASA, the Russian Space Agency and the Kazakh
government
C. NASA, the Chinese Space Agency and the EU Space
Agency
D. None of the above

http://usinfo.state.gov/eur/Archive/2005/Oct/25-876314.html

--------------

 [November 2, 2005 11:16]
Name: Barbara

Mr. Ambassador, what do you tell critics who claim
that Internet should be controlled by United NationsĀ“
telecommunication agency? Why donĀ“t you consider such
a solution as more just?

 [November 2, 2005 10:24]
Name: David Gross

We believe that governments should not control the
changing technical aspects of the internet nor its
content, with limted exceptions for those very narrow
things that are outlawed even in the non-cyber world.
We believe that the technology changes too quickly in
ways that benefit everyone so that a top down
management approach such as would be done by a
intergovermental group would be very
counterproductive.  [November 2, 2005 11:17]
Name: David

Is it 11am in Washington, D.C., yet?

It is 11:20. Ambassador Gross is reading and answering
questions. Sorry for any delay

Moderator [November 2, 2005 11:20]
Name: John

In statements, the US has used as criteria for
Internet governance, that it should ensure the
security and safety of the Internet. Should the
criteria also include openness, so that Internet
governance should ensure the openness of the Internet?
[November 2, 2005 10:44]
Name: David Gross

We belive that the open nature of the internet both in
terms of technical standards and communications is at
the heart of the internet's success. We, together with
many others, are committed to keeping the internet
open to all.  [November 2, 2005 11:21]
Name: Gail

greetings from Sweden and thank you for the opp - Gail
Watt [November 2, 2005 11:24]
Name: Nisha

If private enterprise is where Internet governance
should happen, how is the participation of various
stakeholders -- states, ngo,s citizens ensured?
Doesn't prioritizing the private sector limit rather
than enhance participation? [November 2, 2005 11:11]

Name: David Gross

We believe that there are critically important roles
to be played by all of the groups that you identify as
well as many others such as academics. Although the
private sector sometimes is viewed as being the same
as corporations we think that the term is much broader
and includes many of the groups that you list.
[November 2, 2005 11:25]

Name: Boris

Greeting from Ukraine! [November 2, 2005 11:30]

Name: Mikkel

Hello Mr. Gross,
I would like to know why the US government decided not
to be a member of WGIG? Did the USG, for instance,
feel that its position was represented by someone
else, that this was not an important endeavour or that
its presence would impose limits on the dialogue? Or
were there other reasons?
Also, could you say a bit about why the US finds the
UN ICT Task Force an important initiative to be part
of? What are the differences between these two UN
bodies?
I look forward to your responses.
Sincerely, Mikkel Flyverbom [October 26, 2005 17:40]

Name: David Gross

The United States Government did not directly
participate in WGIG because there were a number of
potentially serious legal issues (under US law) that
such participation could have raised. We were pleased
that a number of private US citizens were asked to
participate. The UN ICT Task Force has been a very
helpful forum for having governments, NGOs, companies
and others exchange information and ideas. That Task
Force was designed to end at the time of the WSIS
later this month. The Task Force's purpose of
exchanging information is very different than the
purpose of WGIG which was to provide a working
definition of the term Internet Governance and to
identify the "public policy" issues associated with
that term.  [November 2, 2005 11:36]

Name: Avri

Neither the WGIG report nor most WSIS proposals
recommend the UN take over the Internet, but rather
argue against US unilateral control of Internet
Resources.
Why do US postion papers continue to talk about the UN
taking over the Internet? [November 2, 2005 08:25]

Name: David Gross

There has been a number of countries that, during the
WSIS prepartory meetings and in speeches, have
suggested that the UN or some other mutilateral group
should control technical or other important aspects of
the internet.  [November 2, 2005 11:40]

Name: Marc

I am very concerned that a number of relevant
questions are being edited out of this Internet
'chat.'

-- We are posting most of the questions to be
answered. We have very many questions and not as much
time. We hope to do a follow up chat after WSIS. I
don't believe we will get to all the questions this
time. Sorry. There is a lot of interest in this
subject.

Moderator [November 2, 2005 11:51]

Name: Veni

Ambassador Gross, greetings!
Coming from a country in transition, I am interested
to know why the US Government does not focus more,
much more, on programs to help developing countries in
the field of Internet and IT?  [November 2, 2005
11:30]

Name: David Gross

The US government, both directly and indirectly, is
trying to find effective ways to help all countries
use technology
( including the internet) to help their people. In
2003 President Bush established the Digital Freedon
Initiative
( www.DFI.gov) to provide assistance.

One third of the world could be left behind if more is
not done to provide developing countries with the
skills, knowledge, and access to markets necessary to
compete. In globalizing developing countries, per
capita income increased 5 percent a year in the 1990s.
In other developing countries, per capita income
decreased by 1 percent over the past decade.
Appropriately designed information and communication
technology (ICT) in developing countries can provide
inexpensive and critical access to domestic and global
markets, allowing the invisible hand of the market to
be a helping hand to the poor.

The Digital Freedom Initiative (DFI) helps meet the
challenge by promoting free market based regulatory
and legal structures and placing volunteers in
businesses and community centers to provide small
businesses and entrepreneurs with the information and
communications technology skills and knowledge to
operate more efficiently while competing in the global
economy. These objectives are achieved in partnership
with U.S. business entities whose voluntary,
innovative and entrepreneurial participation in the
DFI provides access to new markets and competitive
opportunities for developing products and services in
emerging economies. Over 90 U.S. business,
non-governmental organizations and academic
institutions now comprise the DFI Business Roundtable.

The DFI was initiated in Senegal on March 4, 2003. In
October 2003 President Bush announced that Peru and
Indonesia had agreed to join the DFI program. On June
9, 2004 Jordan became the fourth DFI partner country.
More countries are anticipated to join the program in
the next four years to increase business activity,
develop more efficient markets, create more jobs in
the U.S. and DFI beneficiary countries, and help
establish a business friendly regulatory framework
conducive to U.S. investment and partnerships.

In addition, USAID have a number of programs that
focus on helping countries develop in this area. We
are also active in providing support though many
multilaterl organizations such as the ITU, APEC,
CITEL, etc. that are also working in this area
[November 2, 2005 11:52]

Name: Danny

This chat is not helpful. You have chosen too avoid
far too many questions.

-- We just have so many questions. I have submitted
more than a couple dozen. I hope we can continue in
another chat.

As I wrote, sometimes you may see questions that later
are gone. This is my fault since I post as a comment.
When I find the mistake, I post as a question, which
then will not appear until it is answered.

Moderator [November 2, 2005 12:02]

Name: Andrew

Possible UN take over the Internet will certainly lead
to Internet breakage into "national" pieces. Internet
will become a set of governmental intranets, separated
by firewalls and listener blackboxes. We sincerely
hope that US will be wise enough to not allow that.
[November 2, 2005 11:49]

Name: David Gross

We do not believe that it is in any country's interest
to create an independent "national" network that is
not connected and interoperable with the Internet. In
fact, all countries seem to recognize that there is
great value in having their networks connected to each
other. Those countries that use firewalls or otherwise
restrict the ability of their citizens to obtain
access to information are hurting themselves,
especially when it comes to their ability to compete
economically.
Of course, we belive strongly that the free flow of
information is critcally important for all the people
of the world. [November 2, 2005 12:04]

Name: David Gross

Thank you for all of your questions. I am sorry that I
was only able to anwser a few. If you would like so
more information please visit: www.state.gov/e/eb/cip.