[governance] Political Oversight of ICANN: A Briefing for the WSIS Summit

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed Nov 2 09:46:33 EST 2005

Bertrand:
Your enthusiasm is good. Hopefully a new generation of advocates can
pick up liberating IG in and outside ICANN from us old, battle-scarred
veterans. A few comments:

>>> Bertrand de La Chapelle <bdelachapelle at gmail.com> 11/2/2005 6:53 AM
>>>
>In our case, what would be an appropriate formulation ? Some initiatl
food
>for thought : "Towards a truly multi-stakeholder ICANN" ? "ICANN 2007"
or
>even ICANN 2010 (to imply the notion of a transition period) ? ICANN
2.0 ?

I like ICANN 2007. Because Sept. 2006 is when the current MoU expires.
And seven is a lucky number in our culture....I think we need to press
for more immediate reform. Be reminded, ICANN 2.0 has been taken, that
is the ICANN that abolished democracy. It would have to be 3.0.

>- there is a choice between mentionning only ICANN (benefit of being
focused
>but less visibily in the general public) and mentionning Internet
Governance
>(now broadly visible in the general public but maybe too large)

Yes, as we are learning it is bad to confuse the two. IG will remain as
an issue and on that one governments will have a larger role to play.

> 2) *Drafting of a one-page "manifesto"*
>[...]could be structured along the following
>elements (preliminary draft structure) :

I like your outline but will ahve to consider specifics more carefully.
See you in Tunis?