[governance] [CS Bureau] Reminder - Prepcom fellowship deadline

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Mon Jul 25 08:59:49 EDT 2005

Frankly I am converned by the real lack of activity on the bureau list.
There are - many - pending issues that frankly, don't get discussed .
Decisions do seem to take place, just not in consultation with this list.

A case in point - fellowships.

If i am not mistaken both at the Dec 04 Cape Town meeting and at the Feb 05
PrepCom meetings a scholarship policy was discussed and approved. The
recommendation was that an independant bureau review committee would be
struck to review fellowship applications. Where has that gone? Who will
those people be?

PrepCom 3 will be a very key meeting, one where CS needs to be involved in a
very productive and engaged fashion. We need all the funding resources that
are available - to be allocated very strategically, and that  - should not
make membership on the bureau a priority. I would be keen on changing the
priority given to the bureau to countries that are traditional
underrepresented at WSIS - that being Latin America and Asia.

So, in summary I agree with Adam. The bureau is not a mess - it's worse,
it's really disfunctional and not really doing anything at all.  Either we
start really "doing our job" , and soon - or just stop the illusion that the
bureau in fact does anything.

At the coming PrepCom I will not engage in endless meetings that go on for
hours on and about issues that should have been discussed in advance on
email. Time is short, and to be honest, I just don't have time to waste -
there will be far more important meetings taking place elsewhere. I hope
others feel the same.

Anyway, sorry for the rant...

Back to Adam's comment..a couple of questions:

 - what is the fellowshis process , and how does it affect the bureau
 - how many fellowships will be available ?
 - how will the fellowships be allocated, specifically how many are available
for each specific region
 - will the bureau be involved in the review and/or recommendation of
fellowships? if so, who will do that?
 - how will bureau self dealing be - avoided

These questions need to be urgently answered. By whom? well, anyone who
might know, as surely i don't.

regards

Robert