[governance] governance Digest, Vol 25, Issue 30

Bram Dov Abramson bda at bazu.org
Thu Dec 15 10:20:00 EST 2005

>> This is because you cannot define what a country is. The choice of RFC
>> 1591 (stop arguing about wether X or Y is a country, just follow
>> ISO-3166-1 or, to quote the RFC, "The IANA is not in the business of
>> deciding what is and what is not a country. The selection of the ISO
>> 3166 list as a basis for country code top-level domain names was made
>> with the knowledge that ISO has a procedure for determining which
>> entities should be and should not be on that list.") is a reasonable
>> one.

Particularly as I am a very seldom poster, apologies for the off-topic
diversion -- but for those who are from time to time intrigued by such
things, the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency has a fair bit of documentation as
to its own administrative procedure, governance, ongoing matters as they
arise, and so on:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/04background-on-iso-3166/index.html

The panel authorized to make decisions on behalf of the iSO-3166/MA
includes representatives from American, British, French, German, and
Swedish standards bodies, and:
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
- Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
- Universal Postal Union (UPU)
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE).

An interesting sample of some of the places that ISO-3166 country codes
are embedded is here:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/04background-on-iso-3166/implementations-of-iso3166-1.html

regards,
Bram