[governance] Countries and ccTLDs

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 09:43:27 EST 2005

Stephane,

Thanks for the comments and precisions, particularly on the origins of
ccTLDs. I was right ot put a caveat. And on the registrieS for
national DomainS.

Apologies for the 600 lines ! Just a stupid copy/paste of the whole thread
in trying to set a separate thread....

On a specific point, without prolongating the discussion further, you
wrote  :

There is no standard definition of a country: is Greenland a separate
country from Denmark? Puerto-Rico from the USA? Is Europe a country
now that it has a money? And if the european constitution had been
adopted?

Clearly, we (wether "we" is the CS or ICANN or "the community")
should not engage into such a discussion.

This just proves the point of the whole thread nurtured by Parminder and
Izumi (among others) : ccTLDs have a national dimension but are not limited
to countries. Maybe, they could be characterized as being "geography-based"
- as opposed to "thematically-based" (ie for instance the various sponsored
TLDs under discussion.

We (whoever that is) should not probably engage, as you suggest, in the
definition of what a country is. But you know that this is a clear
preoccupation for national governments - and I suppose rightly so. As a
result the issue cannot be wiped away easily in future discussions.

You mentionned the EU. You probably remember that in the discussions leading
up to the creation of the .eu, some debate emerged on the limitation of the
.EU to actors based in the european union or in Europe as a whole. I confess
I did not check what the outcome is in the final regime put in place a few
days ago.

In any case, the question about who - or what entities - should be granted
the right to establish and manage a domain name is clearly on the Agenda.
Exploring a diverse range of cases is a useful way to "feel" the whole space
of the issue.

Best

Bertrand