[governance] Striking the right balance between private and public interests on the Internet

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 6 00:03:36 EST 2005

Jovan wrote:
>A few points on the discussion about public/private interests and
>the Internet?
>

>The WSIS IG debate could have been more productive had it initiated
>a discussion on striking the right balance between public and
>private interests on the Internet. One main advantage is that the
>discussion on public/private interests does not follow the
>predominant geo-political division lines. The public/private debate
>is taking place in many countries (in the USA ? cable operators as
>ISPs and the protection of the public nature of the Internet) as
>well as at the international level (WTO: various services ? mainly
>education, UNESCO ? multilingualism, etc.).
>
>The private/public debate is not specific to this time or only to
>the Internet. It is as old as the market economy itself (even older
>? Roman law specifies various instruments for limiting private
>ownership through the interest of others or the community).
>Thousands of pages have been written on how to harmonise private and
>public interests. National laws in many countries restrict private
>ownership in various ways (e.g. providing critical services,
>anti-monopoly legislation, labour standards).
>
>One problem is that the mechanisms for creating a proper
>private-public balance are not well developed at the international
>level. They remain predominantly national, while the market, in the
>meantime, has become global. This imbalance is addressed in various
>forms. Business initiatives, such as Global Compact, try to promote
>socially responsible business activities. The question of balancing
>private and public interests is also the crux in, for example, the
>WTO and the ILO debates.
>
>There is also a fast growing volume of work on the public interest
>and the Internet. Lessins and Milton have written about it. As was
>mentioned in previous inputs, the APC have contributed a lot to this
>field. It is also present in policy debates. During one of the
>PrepComs, Bertrand made a very eloquent intervention, linking civil
>society?s raison d??tre in the IG debate to the promotion of global
>public interests. In Tunis, the World Banke had very good panel on
>public interests and the Internet.
>

>Here are a few follow-up points:
>
>- the key is how to establish a balance between private-driven
>Internet development and the public interest. Civil society could
>play a vital role in striking this balance, through an informed and
>inclusive debate. It should make use of its expertise in this field
>by identifying problems and suggesting ?win-win solutions? whenever
>possible;
>
>- Google and other companies, which show more sensitivity to public
>interests, might be interested in becoming constructive players in
>various private-public initiatives;
>
>- while keeping in mind some broader concepts, such as ?global
>public good,? the debate should focus on concrete issues (e.g. a few
> [...]

A simple note, one suggestion, a slight twist on the private/public
question presented here:

If we deal in terms of tension between public and private - rather
than balance - we open the possibility to see events in a dynamic
frame, to understand the story across time.  And whether indeed we
use either the word 'balance' or the word 'tension' - a picture
across time can open a new world for policy.

I quite appreciate Jovan's discussion.  It seems to me to point to
important possibilities.  If there is interest, I will provide more
on the implications of adding an approach across time, off list or on.

David Allen