[governance] Civil Society Declaration on Internet Governance[revised text]

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Dec 1 01:21:40 EST 2005

Izumi wrote:
I have some problem of putting:
 "how core IG functions   like DNS management, IP address allocation etc
are carried out and their linkages with broader IG issues like cyber-crime,
Intellectual Property Rights, eCommerce, e-government, human rights and
promoting development"

While I do not deny that there are certain linkages between DNS/IP
allocation and
cyber-crime, IPR etc, these resource management is not the only or the
biggest
factors of these policy issues. So using the word "linkage" is troublesome
to me,
it gives an impression that these resource management is the core issue of
cyber crime etc.

I don’t think that the word ‘linkage’ signifies that these resource
management and allied issues are core issues in cyber-crime (I do not
believe they are). It only means that there are some important linkages
here. I think, the issue goes back to the wider issues which we have
discussed a few times on the list about the linkages between the
‘narrower’ and ‘broader’ IG functions/issues. And this is again an issue
of ‘principle’ that we need to agree or dis-agree upon. And this
‘principle’ is at the bottom of many IG related discussions. But if the
present formulation still does look like it implies these issues are core
issues in cyber crime etc - you may think of replacing

‘ …and their linkages with….’

with a more tentative

‘…… what linkages these functions have with….’ .

And so the line will now read

"how core IG functions   like DNS management, IP address allocation etc
are carried out and what linkages these function have with broader IG issues
like cyber-crime, Intellectual Property Rights, eCommerce, e-government,
human rights and promoting development"

I also have problem in understanding why we need to state:
"and various CS groups and other social actors in specific"

I am not against this per se, but I cannot understand why we need that and
appreciate if you could explain.

I also have some doubt on the original text:
"it is necessary for people who use the Internet understand how the DNS is
functioning..."

Do ordinary people who use the Internet really need to understand how DNS
works?
I am not so sure. The intention of this para is, to me, that people who care
about
the public policy issues of the Internet who will participate the IGF
process should have basic understanding of these functions, be they CS or
government or others.
If that is the intention, I like to see it in clear language.

It is precisely because the original text "it is necessary for people who
use the Internet understand how the DNS is functioning..." looked
problematic, I made it more general about public awareness, and added that
specific social advocacy/policy actors need to be more aware.

That is why the phrase  --   "and various CS groups and other social actors
in specific"

I can try and improve it to read

To ensure that development of the Internet and its governance takes place in
public interest, it is important for people in general, and more
specifically, various CS groups and other social actors interested in policy
and advocacy, to understand better how core IG functions - like DNS
management, IP address allocation etc - are carried out and what linkages
these functions have with broader IG issues like cyber-crime, Intellectual
Property Rights, eCommerce, e-government, human rights and promoting
development. The responsibility of creating such awareness should be shared
by everyone, including those at present involved in the governance and
development of the Internet.

As I said earlier I did not contribute the original text, but I am trying to
read the intentions of the original contributors and suggesting text - since
I strongly agree with the meaning I read in it - which is that IG function
are important public policy issues, and the way they are carried out impact
our lives in many direct and indirect ways. And that this impact is going to
increase exponentially - and therefore it is important that there is greater
public awareness of these issues - and the explicit and implicit connections
that they have to different areas of policy that interest all of us. I think
such a view is at the very foundation of what we all are trying to do here -
in the IG caucus, and IG advocacies outside IG caucus.

parminder

Thanks, and sorry for the last-minute intervention, but I really appreciate
your efforts.

izumi