[governance] new TLDs?

Hans Klein hans.klein at pubpolicy.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 30 10:43:11 EDT 2005

Thanks, Carlos, for this interesting post.  I will comment on some of the
points.

1.
"All delegations/redelegations are just business, what is the point?"
Not all business situations are identical.  *Industry structure*
matters.  For example, many critics of the mass media point to the
*concentration* of the media industries (currently there are nine global
media conglomerates.)  This concentrated industry structure is itself a
problem: a concentrated industry affords greater opportunity for control
than does a decentralized industry.  A more extreme example is Microsoft:
the remarkable concentration of the PC operating system industry widely
regarded as a problem.

So it is not correct to say that anything is "just business."  The overall
structure of the business/industry is extremely important.

A call for more TLDs is also a call for less industry concentration.  Less
industry concentration is a worthy policy goal.

2.
"I think the current civil society organizations within ICANN (ALAC +
NCUC) fail in this when they are mostly guided by the issues which are
determined from above by ICANN's own agenda, and not derived from a
discussion within our constituencies"

This is a good point.  But we need to distinguish between 1) the
organizations/caucuses and 2) what they do.

The ALAC and the NCUC may be flawed as organizations, or they may simply
not be doing what we think is important.  Personally, I have confidence in
NCUC as an organization;  As for ALAC, I am not yet convinced that it is
legitimate.

Concerns about Civil Society's role in ICANN could be addressed by
investing more energy in NCUC.  If anyone feels that NCUC is not raising
the appropriate issues, then let's put better issues on the NCUC
agenda.  The organization would benefit from that energy.

ALAC seems to have contributed to the non-involvement of CS in ICANN -- at
least in the North American region.  (Strangely, the respected Electronic
Frontier Foundation has played a major role in ALAC.)  Civil Society might
try to reform ALAC or it might just ignore it and work in a different caucus.

But if anyone feels that the wrong issues are being raised, then raise the
right issues.

3. Conclusion: New TLDs
I continue to believe that it would be a good thing to add many new
TLDs.  They would cease being scarce and would cease being expensive.  The
registry industry would grown and become less concentrated. That does serve
the public interest.

Hans Klein