[governance] new TLDs?

Ronda Hauben ronda at panix.com
Mon Aug 29 13:49:30 EDT 2005

I am not indifferent to gTLD's as they require somebody to administer
them -- To make their delegation a business affair has an impact on
what happens to the management of the Internet's infrastructure.

The Internet is a communications infrastructure, not some neoliberal
business corporation that can be played with at whim.;

So the fact of introducing "compentition" and hence a structure to
determine who gets the riches that this so called "competition" will
yield is a means of polluting the management process for the Internet.

What is the appropriate management structure to oversee the Internet and
its development? This question nees to be raised in a serious
way where the commercial self interests are neutralized rather than
allowed to dominate.

Instead the whole notion of commercializing the gTLD's has brought into
the heart of the management of the Internet's infrastructure, a set of
narrow self interests trying to protect their own piece of the action.

The infrastructure to the Internet needs a different kind of management
structure than one that will cater to those supposed "stakeholders", ie.
those with a commercial self interest.

So getting rid of gTLD's would be a beginning of getting rid of the
commercial self interests that are preventing the creation of an
appropriate management structure for the Internet's infrastructure.

In the US I thought there was a time when telephone numbers were linked
to product names, and that was changed as it became unwieldy.

The telephone system in the US for a time was able to develop as a
regulated monopoly so that the public interest could be considered.

That resulted in Bell Labs and the important scientific breakthroughs made
there as a gift to the world, as well as a world class telephone system in
the US.

This was not a neoliberal model of "competition". This was a different
model where government had a role, as did regulation.

Perhaps there are lessons to be learned both from such models, as well
as from the model of the Internet's own development, in determining how
to create an appropriate management model for the Internet's
infrastructure.

Instead the conversation is narrowed down to whether or not to have
more gTLD's and how or ifICANN should administer this.

cheers

Ronda