[governance] Netizens and citizens; Was Re: new TLDs?

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Tue Aug 30 02:54:24 EDT 2005

Ronda Hauben wrote:

> Jeanette wrote:
>
>> The problem with that greek polis concept is that it referred to men
>> only. Also, it took for granted lots of non-citizens, the slaves who
>> were did the  bread and butter work.
>

> Sure there were problems with the greek polis, but a larger percentage of
> people took part in the governing and the decisions relating to the
> governing than most other times in the history of so called 'democracy'.
>
> So you can find all the problems with the Greek polis that did indeed
> exist. But whether or not there were these problems, the question
> remains Were a greater percentage of the population involved in
> more of the democratic processes than at most other times in the
> history of so called 'democracy'?

Sorry, Ronda, I don't think this is the point. The fact that women and
slaves were excluded makes the polis a non-democratic space. In a
similar vein, it seems odd to me to celebrate the "netizen" although so
many people have no or very restricted access to the net. Avri made this
point very clear I think.
To me, the netizen reflects an early period of the net when the user
community was still very homogenous in terms of educational background,
values and interests. These days are long gone, and the "user" seems to
me to be the more adequate term.

jeanette