[governance] Netizens and citizens / new TLDs?

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Mon Aug 29 17:58:55 EDT 2005

I agree that netizen is an elitist concept in practice, if not so bad
in theory. More pragmatically, citizenship of nation-states exists
whether we like it or not, and no amount of becoming netizen changes
the way we are subject to the decisions of nation-states. Unlike
citizenship, there is no institutional structure that pressure can be
applied to when there are contests over the term "netizen" or how it
is used to justify people's positions - so one is just left with
assertions and "dialogue". I realise that is seen as a benefit by
those who promote its use, but I think in the WSIS context there is a
need to be more applied to specific issues that can at least
potentially aid development.

Re: new TLDs, Milton, while I agree with you that "competition,
diversity and multilingualism" will require some new TLDs, in
practical terms I fail to see how .xxx addresses my work on fostering
the last two goals. Instead, it is a marker of the lack of diversity
and US-centric biases of the current regime. From my POV the
potential benefit of .xxx in fostering competition doesn't outweigh
the fact that advocating its existence in the WSIS context against so
much opposition is, um, obscene, given that we still can't provide a
DNS that lets people use their own language scripts, and that TLDs
are so obviously driven by commercial interests.  Yes, there is a
process issue that is important. But to ignore the content of the TLD
in the discussion is a dangerous strategy. I can't see how pumping
for an industry that makes money out of sex is really going to serve
CS credibility that well.

[for the record, in the larger scheme of things i couldn't care less
whether .xxx exists or not]

Danny

--
http://www.dannybutt.net