[governance] Netizens and citizens Was Re: new TLDs?

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Aug 29 17:25:50 EDT 2005

On 29 aug 2005, at 21.14, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

> The problem with that greek polis concept is that it referred to men
> only. Also, it took for granted lots of non-citizens, the slaves who
> were did the bread and butter work. What makes me feel uncomfortable
> about the concept of netizens is that it seems to identify an elite of
> people on the net. But this is more of a personal impression,
> nothing I
> could substantiate.

The issue i have, is that one ultimate goal is to spread the net to
all people.  so on the day of success, all citizens become netizens
and the term loses any specific meaning.  and in the meantime it does
seem to be restricted to those citizens who are lucky enough to have
network connectivity.

So I think I agree that netizen is an elite concept.  Beyond that, I
don't understand why we need a concept beyond people, with the
understanding that all people are to be considered as much as
possible in governance, and all those who can and who are interested
should have access to the governance discussions and process.

i have no strong objection to neologisms and this one is no
different, but i really don't see what purpose it serves, or what it
adds.  though the discussion over its meaning and importance might be
important in itself.  and of course that is one of the main reasons
for neologisms, to get people to look at things in a different
light.  but at this point i think the negative connotation of the
term, the 'them and us' aspect, outweighs the value of contextual shift.

a.