[governance] First Draft of Statement on US Commerce Department/GAC chair intervention

Edward Hasbrouck edward at hasbrouck.org
Fri Aug 19 11:57:10 EDT 2005

On 18 Aug 2005 at 16:15, "Milton Mueller" <Milton Mueller <Mueller at syr.edu>> wrote:

> GAC members, including the US government, had ample opportunity to
> express their views on the .xxx proposal during the transparent
> 18-month evaluation process.

There were *limited* opportunities to express views on *some* aspects of
the proposals.  But the proces was not "transparent".  The issue in my
request for independent review (which ICANN has ignored) is whether the
TLD decision-making process was open and transprent to "the maximum extent
feasible".  The identities of the evaluators were kept secret.  They met
in closed meetings.  They based their recommendations on secret
correspondence with the applicants.  ICANN's board made its decisions in
closed "meetings" by teleconference.  I list some of the documents and
records concerning this process which have *not* been made available for
community scrutiny and comment in my request at:

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/000553.html

> To conclude, we urge the ICANN Board to abide by its prior decision to
> delegate the .xxx domain to ICM Registry. We hope they will use the delay
> to explain to those who have raised the objections how and why the
> delegation decision was made and why ICANN's governance model

Under ICANN's bylaws, the proper) forum for review of how TLD decisions
were made is the independent review process.  If this is the issue, ICANN
should refer my request to an independent review panel, or stay its
decision while it conducts an open and transparent process of developing
consensus on independent review procedures (which it is required to have
in place, but so far as I can tell does not actually have).